Baby Food- Lets Introduce Healthy Eating
The best day for any woman would be the moment it was confirmed she was Pregnant, well but it is the joy of being a mother that can surpass the above feeling. My baby is the best thing that happened to me. It was when she was 6 months old when I started noticing that she is ready to expand her diet. Evident signs being she was able to hold her head up and she occasionally did stick out her tongue. This according to the doctors and elders is a sign that she is ready to take more liquid food and semi-liquid food into her diet. In India there is a slight resistance to ready to eat baby food. Saying that it is also true that a lot of baby foods available in the market are now organic and preservative free. Parents now can either cook the baby food at home, or get this nutrition rich, ready to feed options from the market.
Why Baby Food?
The word baby food is referred to strained and pureed food. This food is for babies who are 6 months and older as it minimizes the risk of them developing adverse reactions to food. Below are a few reasons why introducing the right baby food is important:
• It makes it easy for the parents to introduce them to Solid Foods.
• A good alternative when the mother is not lactating enough.
• A very good option for working mothers, it is healthy and filling.
• These foods are lowest on allergy scale and hence completely safe.
• Easily digested by the baby’s tiny tummy, the idea is to introduce infants to easily digestible food.
• Pureed vegetables and fruits are the best options.
• One has the option to cook the food at home or buy these versions from the market.
• Make sure to buy the organic ones, with no added sugar and preservatives.
• One can start with fruit juice, vegetable juice and dal ka paani or lentil soup and slowly introduce pureed fruits and vegetables.
• Fruits are great for these tiny infants, pureed apple, bananas are easy to digest and keep their tummies full.
How much Per day?
• Tiny tummies need tiny portions and so do not expect her to eat too much at a time.
• A spoon full and then the baby will learn gradually. The baby now could close her mouth around the spoon and can easily move food back and front of the mouth.
• When introducing the solid food, each baby is very different and hence it is difficult to judge how the baby takes to this new experience.
• They may take time to get used to the new texture and not accept it at once. It is so important to introduce the baby with both savoury and sweet foods, she may otherwise develop a sweet tooth.
• If the baby resists the first time, try again after a few days.
• Introduce new foods one at a time. I had the habit to note down the food in a small baby chart, it makes it easier to recognise allergic reaction to food, if any.
To sum it up, Food plays a huge role in building the stamina and immunity in a kid. It is important to keep trying different tastes and combinations. Using pureed or mashed fruits as a sweetener is a good option. Do not introduce the baby to too much salt and sugar initially. Enjoy the journey, cause Until You have a baby, you won’t know how much you were missing one